Board Meeting Dates, Agendas & Minutes Board Members Board Policies Connections Newsletters MDUSD Profiles Superintendent
Adult Education After School Program Assessment, Research & Evaluation Budget & Fiscal Services English Learner Services Equity & Disproportionality Food & Nutrition Home Instructional Support Legal Department Mail Services Maintenance & Operations Measure C Personnel Services Purchasing & Warehouse School Support Special Education Special Projects & Grants Student Services Superintendent Technology Transportation Workers Compensation Willow Creek Center Contact Us
Parent Portal College Now Program Community Portal Donations Flyer Approval and Distribution Forms Library Get Involved IB Programme LCAP Middle School Sports Permits Reports & Plans Schools Student Portal
Staff Portal Training

Abbreviations to know:

EL= English Learner

EO = English Only

IFEP = Initially Fluent English Proficient (students who speak another language at home whose English was determined to be initially fluent after taking the CELDT.) 

RFEP = Reclassified Fluent English Proficient (students who speak another language at home who took the CELDT and were identified as an English Learner.  These students participated in a program for English Learners and then progressed out of the program and were reclassified as Fluent English Proficient.)

TBD = To Be Determined--testing may not have been completed at the time of data collection.

District Data

State of California English Learner Data

Basic Facts—California Language Census: October 1st, 2014

English learners are a significant portion of California public school students:

  • The 1,413,549 English learners constitute 22.7 percent of the total enrollment in California public schools.
  • A total of 2,685,793 students speak a language other than English in their homes. This number represents about 43.1 percent of the state's public school enrollment.
  • The majority of English learners (73 percent) are enrolled in the elementary grades, kindergarten through grade six. The rest (27 percent) are enrolled in the secondary grades, seven through twelve, and in the ungraded category.

Although English learner data are collected for 60 language groups, 95 percent speak one of the top ten languages in the state:

Language Percent
Pilipino (Filipino or Tagalog)


MDUSD English Learner Data


English learners also represent a significant population within the Mt. Diablo Unified School District.

  • Of 31,748 students in the district, 7,251(23%) are currently English Learners.  See the tables below to see the breakdown of students in our elementary, middle, and high schools.
  • A total of 13,190 students speak a language other than English at home.  This represents about 42% of the students in our district.


Elementary School Total Student Counts by ELL Status  
As of CALPADS Information Day Oct 1, 2014  
ELL Status Count of SSID % Total  
EL   4942 31.09%  
EO   9375 58.98%  
IFEP 658 4.14%  
RFEP 910 5.73%  
TBD  9 0.06%  
Grand Total 15894    


Middle School Total Student Count by ELL Status
As of CALPADS Information Day Oct 1, 2014
ELL Status Count of SSID % Total
EL   1109 14.84%
EO   4352 58.24%
IFEP 482 6.45%
RFEP 1530 20.47%
Grand Total 7473  


High School Student Total Counts by ELL Status

As of CALPADS Information Day Oct 1,2014
ELL Status Count of SSID % Total
EL   1200 14.32%
EO   4835 57.69%
IFEP 715 8.53%
RFEP 1630 19.45%
TBD  1 0.01%
Grand Total 8381  

Top Ten Languages in MDUSD

Language Students Whose Primary Language is other than English (13,190)
Spanish 9852 (75%)
Pilipino (Filipino or Tagalog) 525 (4%)
Other non-English Languages 449 (3%)
Farsi (Persian) 341 (2.6%)
Russian 266 (2%)
Vietnamese 235 (1.8%)
Korean 192 (1.5%)
Mandarin (Putonghua) 141 (1%)
Cantonese 139 (1%)
Arabic 134 (1%)