Transitional Learning Center (TLC)
Students are referred for placement in the TLC program by their middle school after being identified as candidates for retention in 8th grade.
Students receive instruction based on district-adopted courses of study using standard-based textbooks. Instruction is individualized to meet student educational goals. Students are grouped according to age and skill level. Instructional focus is on remediation of skills in English/Language Arts and Mathematics. The TLC team of instructional leaders has special interests and expertise in working with alternative education students.
Students eligible for the TLC program:
- Have been recommended for retention at 8th grade level.
- Need support in basic academic skills.
- Are committed to appropriate behavior and regular attendance.
- Have the potential to master grade-level standards.
- Can demonstrate maturity/social skills appropriate for a high school campus.
- May participate in CIF sports at Concord High School if all other conditions of eligibility are met.
The TLC Program
- Intensive remediation in core academics at the middle school level in conjunction with selected high school elective courses.
Self-contained classrooms on a high school site.
- Caring, experienced program staff.
- August orientation/workshop that connects the student and family to the program.
- Multi-tiered counseling program comprised of individual, small group, and whole class delivery.
- Ongoing communication with the family through phone calls, weekly progress reports, and home visits.
- Community and business partnerships that provide mentors, incentives, and speakers.
- Coordinated CARE team support.
The TLC Outcome Two possible TLC outcomes:
1. Student attends school and passes all courses offered.
2. Student earns 60 credits and enters local comprehensive high school site at 10th grade level.
1. Student passes a portion or none of the courses offered.
3. Student is eligible to enroll in English II courses.
TRANSITIONAL LEARNING CENTER (TLC)
Administrator: Brook Penca
4200 Concord Boulevard (on the Concord High campus)
Concord, CA 94521
FAX: (925) 603-1770